Violence Against Women in Asian/Pacific Islander communities:
- Approximately 21-55% of Asian women report experiencing intimate physical and/or sexual violence by an intimate partner during her lifetime*.
- 1 in 4 women in the United States report being physically or sexually abused by a husband or boyfriend at some point in their lives*.
- Statistics show that an overwhelming number of domestic violence survivors are women.
- The percentage of female murder survivors killed by intimate partners has remained at about 30% since 1976*.
- Within Asian/Pacific Islander survivors, 28.5% of women were abused by their in-laws.
Statistics in the Washington, DC metropolitan area:
- The DC Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) receives 31,000 calls from domestic violence survivors each year.
- From 2011 – 2012, the DC Domestic Violence Intake Center (DVIC) saw a 15% increase in the number of calls from Asian survivors of domestic violence.
- From 2011 – 2012, DVRP saw a 120% increase in the request for services for survivors.
*Source: A/PI Institute on Domestic Violence